I’m Laura Hudson. I was previously the culture editor at The Verge, a senior editor at WIRED, and the founder and editor of the Eisner Award-winning website ComicsAlliance. I write about entertainment, technology and culture, especially digital media, video games, television, comic books, online harassment and feminism. My work has appeared in The New York Times, The New York Times Magazine, Slate, FiveThirtyEight, TIME, BBC, Vulture, Complex and The LA Times.
I helped relaunch the video game website Offworld in 2015, and ran a successful Kickstarter that raised over $65,000 for a printed hardcover anthology of its work. I also scripted Ordinary Women, the Feminist Frequency video series about incredible women in history. In 2018, I spearheaded and edited the Better Worlds fiction project at The Verge, which brought together 11 authors to write optimistic sci-fi stories, and scripted four animated adaptations of those stories. I’ve also written popular recaps of television shows like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Twin Peaks, The Americans and The Handmaid’s Tale.
A few of my selected works:
- Twine, A Video Game Technology For All (New York Times Magazine)
- Ernest Cline’s New Book Is Everything Wrong With Gaming Culture (Slate)
- Technology Is Too Biased. How Do We Fix It? (FiveThirtyEight)
- Twitter is Wrong: Facts Are Not Enough to Combat Disinformation (The Verge)
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Most Radical Message Wasn’t About Computers (WIRED)
- The Vanishing Secrets of Video Games (Campo Santo Quarterly)
- If You Want to Know How We Ended Up in a Cyber Dystopia, Read Ready Player One (The Verge)
- Six Experts on How Silicon Valley Can Solve Harassment (WIRED magazine)
- Blue Bloods: The Show That Reinforces America’s Prejudices (Slate)
- The People You Won’t Meet: America and the Muslim Ban (Campo Santo Quarterly)
- Curbing Online Abuse Isn’t Impossible. Here’s Where We Start (WIRED magazine)
- A Melancholy Journey Through the Lost American Dream (Slate)
- How Algorithms Are Getting Better at Making Entertainment (FiveThirtyEight)
- Video Games Trade Fantasy for Rust Belt Reality (New York Times)
- Virtual Reality’s Possibilities Lure Video Game Developers (New York Times)
If you’d like to reach me you can find me on Twitter.