I’m Laura Hudson, a journalist and writer of various media. I was previously the culture editor at The Verge, a senior editor at WIRED, and the founder and editor of the Eisner Award-winning website ComicsAlliance. I spent over a decade reporting on entertainment, technology and culture, particularly video games, television, comic books, online harassment and feminism. My work has appeared in The New York Times, The New York Times Magazine, Slate, FiveThirtyEight, TIME, The Guardian, BBC, Vulture, Complex and The LA Times.
I helped relaunch the video game website Offworld in 2015, and ran a successful Kickstarter that raised over $65,000 for a printed hardcover anthology of its work. I also scripted Ordinary Women, the Feminist Frequency video series about incredible women in history. In 2018, I spearheaded and edited the Better Worlds fiction project at The Verge, which brought together 11 authors to write optimistic sci-fi stories, and co-scripted four animated adaptations of those stories.
A few of my selected works:
- At the End of the World, It’s Hyperobjects All the Way Down (WIRED Magazine)
- The Tragedy and Mystery of the Best Game of the Decade (WIRED)
- Twine, A Video Game Technology For All (New York Times Magazine)
- Ready Player Two Is a Horror Story and Doesn’t Know It (Slate)
- Technology Is Too Biased. How Do We Fix It? (FiveThirtyEight)
- Twitter is Wrong: Facts Are Not Enough to Combat Disinformation (The Verge)
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Most Radical Message Wasn’t About Computers (WIRED)
- Ernest Cline’s New Book Is Everything Wrong With Gaming Culture (Slate)
- Dating Sim Meets Survival Horror: The Game That Exposes Pick-up Artists (The Guardian)
- The Vanishing Secrets of Video Games (Campo Santo Quarterly)
- The Female Game Designers Fighting Back on Abortion Rights (The Guardian)
- If You Want to Know How We Ended Up in a Cyber Dystopia, Read Ready Player One (The Verge)
- The People You Won’t Meet: America and the Muslim Ban (Campo Santo Quarterly)
- Six Experts on How Silicon Valley Can Solve Harassment (WIRED magazine)
- Blue Bloods: The Show That Reinforces America’s Prejudices (Slate)
- Curbing Online Abuse Isn’t Impossible. Here’s Where We Start (WIRED magazine)
- A Melancholy Journey Through the Lost American Dream (Slate)
- How Algorithms Are Getting Better at Making Entertainment (FiveThirtyEight)
- Video Games Trade Fantasy for Rust Belt Reality (New York Times)
If you’d like to reach me you can find me on Twitter.